If your question is not listed here, please email us at info@guamanimals.org or call us at (671) 653-4246. Si Yu’os Ma’ase and Thank you!

How long does GAIN keep pets?

There is no specific time frame set for any animal that arrives at GAIN. It is all dependent on the animal’s condition and Guam law requirements.

Guam Law (Title 10, Article 1, Chapter 34, Section 34116) requires that any animal brought into the shelter that is identified as a stray must be held for three (3) days; this allows possible owners an opportunity to reclaim the animal (assuming they are able to provide proof of ownership and there is no concern about the animal returning to said owner). The only exception to the three-day holding rule is if the animal is injured/sick and suffering or feral/wild. Once the three-day hold is completed, the animal is evaluated (physical, mental, and emotional health) to determine whether or not it can be placed up for adoption. If an animal is determined to not be adoptable, the animal will be humanely euthanized.

Animals that are turned in by their owners are identified as unwanted and are held for twenty-four (24) hours; this allows the owner a chance to reclaim the animal (assuming there is no concern about the animal returning to the owner). The only exception to the 24-hour hold is if the animal is injured/sick and suffering. All owners who turn in their animal fill out an Intake Form that states: “I hereby authorize GAIN to euthanize or place my pet for adoption. I certify that I am the owner as provided by Guam Animal Control Law 10 GCA Article 1, or that I am otherwise authorized to surrender the below-referenced animal(s)”. Once the 24-hour hold is completed, the animal is evaluated (physical, mental, and emotional health) to determine which or not it can be placed up for adoption. If an animal is determined to not be adoptable, the animal will be humanely euthanized.

Animals that are deemed adoptable remain available for adoption until they are adopted. However, if an animal shows signs of physical/mental/emotional deterioration, they may be placed in a foster home or the decision to euthanize may be made; it is all dependent on the condition of the animal and making the best decision for the animal’s wellbeing.

If I feed stray animals, am I considered the owner of those animals?

According to Guam Law (Title 10, Article 2, Chapter 34, Section 34201) a pet’s “owner” is defined as “any person, partnership or corporation owning, keeping or harboring one (1) or more animals. An animal shall be deemed to be harbored if it is fed or sheltered three (3) consecutive days or more[…]”

We understand it is difficult to not feed stray animals, but the best way to help the animal is to either find a way to place the animal in a foster or adoptive home or have the animal turned in to GAIN (either by yourself, Animal Control, or a Mayor’s office) to prevent suffering or a slow death due to illness or injury.

Who do I call to pick up stray animals?

Please contact Animal Control at (671) 300-7964/5/6/7 or contact your village Mayor. If you are unable to get into contact with them, you can contact GAIN to give a report which will be sent to Animal Control and/or the Mayor, but GAIN does not go out and pick up animals.

The general public are welcome to bring in stray animals on their own but is only recommended if the animal is non-aggressive and the situation does not pose a threat to any person or animal.

Who do I call to pick up dead animals on public streets?

Please contact Animal Control at (671) 300-7964/5/6/7 or contact the Mayor of the village that the deceased animal is located in.

GAIN does not pick up deceased animals.

What can I do/who do I call if I witness animal cruelty/neglect/abuse?

Please contact Animal Control at (671) 300-7964/5/6/7, the Mayor of the village that the abuse is happening in, or the Guam Police Department. If you are unable to get into contact with them, you can contact GAIN to give a report which will be sent to Animal Control and/or GPD. GAIN is not legally allowed to remove animals from a property; it must be done by the correct legal authorities.

In matters of cruelty/neglect/abuse, evidence is extremely beneficial (photos, videos, etc) but attempting to get this type of evidence is not advisable if it puts you, another person, or an animal in danger.

What do I do if my pet bites someone?

If your pet bites you or someone else, and breaks the skin, you should be seen by a doctor or at the hospital and give an official report about the bite incident. You should also contact Animal Control and let them know the situation. If your animal is up to date with its rabies vaccine, the Animal Control officers may allow your animal to remain at home for a 10 day quarantine to ensure there is no sign of rabies. But this is at the discretion of Animal Control. Otherwise, the animal will be brought to GAIN to be held for a 10 day quarantine. You may also bring the animal to GAIN yourself if it is safe to do so.

An animal brought in to GAIN as a “bite hold” will be held and observed for the 10 days to determine the animal’s mental/emotional/physical condition and will also be observed by the Territorial Veterinarian to determine if the animal is of any danger to the public and whether or not it can be released back to the family.

Animals that can be released back to their family incur a $10/day impound fee that must be paid the day they are released. The owner of the pet must also present documentation that the animal is up to date with its rabies vaccine, or documentation showing that the owner has at least paid for a rabies vaccine which the animal should receive as soon as it leaves the shelter.

I cannot find my pet, what do I do?

A few options:

What do I do if I find a lost pet?

A few options:

We do recommend, that if you post information about having a found pet that you do so safely and ensure your safety when interacting with anyone who claims to be the rightful owner of the pet.

Moving off island with your pets?

All pets flying off island need:

All vet offices offer services to prepare your pet for flying and should be contacted as early in advance of your flight plans as possible.

I cannot keep my pet – what can I do?

We understand that things come up in life that are unanticipated and can affect your ability to care for or keep your pet. While GAIN will do what it can to assist you, here are some things to consider:

*Is the problem that your pet is:  

These types of issues can be assisted with basic training techniques which can be found online or found on island through local trainers. These types of issues can also be helped by making sure your animal has enough exercise and play time as well as appropriate toys.

*You are moving and the new location does not allow animals:

This is a common problem on Guam, and sometimes unavoidable. So GAIN strongly encourages everyone to carefully read through their lease agreements and always ask about pets when considering a new place to live. Pets are family members and it should be a priority to find a way to bring them with you wherever you go.

*You are moving off island:

GAIN strongly encourages saving money as often as you can to put towards your pet’s flight so that they can move off island with you. Reach out to airlines and pet transportation companies as early as possible to determine costs and logistics.


Unfortunately, allergies are a very real thing for many people and sometimes we do not even know we have them. Before bringing a pet into your home, do your best to determine if anyone has any allergies to pet fur or dander by seeing your physician to do a quick test. If someone in the household becomes allergic after the animal has been living with you for some time, consider visiting your physician to determine if the allergies are severe and if there is any medication or lifestyle changes that can be taken to reduce or eliminate the allergies.

*We are having a baby:

Bringing home a new baby can be very chaotic and stressful, but does not necessarily mean that you have to get rid of your pets. Take a look at these sites to get some great information and tips:

*I have a family emergency:

If there is a family emergency and you need to leave temporarily, we encourage you to reach out to friends and family to help watch your pet while you are gone. Another option is boarding your pet at any of the vet offices on island. Contact them directly to ask them about their boarding services and rates.

*If you absolutely cannot keep your pet, consider rehoming him/her. Finding a “good home” for your pet means finding a home that is well suited for your pet and vice versa. Important things to keep in mind:

Leave your forwarding address, contact information, and your pet’s vet records with the new family so that they can contact you or the vet if they have questions or concerns about the pet.

*If none of these options are possible, your pet can be brought to GAIN. You will be asked to fill out an Intake Form to provide as much information on the animal as possible and provide vet records, if there are any. As mentioned in the first question on this page, GAIN holds unwanted pets for 24-hours before evaluating the animal to determine if it can be placed up for adoption or not. In certain circumstances, GAIN may also place the pet in a foster home.

How do I adopt an animal?

First you must fill out an application for a specific animal, which can be done at the main GAIN office in Yigo or on our website: www.guamanimals.org. Once the application is complete and submitted, we will go over any questions we may have before processing the application. Adoption fee, for any animal, is $125 and comes with a microchip and the spay/neuter surgery. If animals are over 3 months of age, they also require a rabies vaccine which must be purchased through a vet office prior to releasing the animal from the shelter. The rabies vaccine cost varies depending on which vet office you go to.

If you are interested in adopting but want to make sure the pet is a good fit for your family, consider doing a Trial Adoption. This allows you to take the animal home for a week (extensions upon request) to make sure all goes well with the new pet at home. If the Trial Adoption is successful, the potential adopter can then finalize the adoption after bringing the animal back to the shelter to receive its microchip, provide rabies vaccine information (if needed), and provide payment and signed paperwork.

Does my adopted pet have to be spayed/neutered? Does my adopted animal have to be vaccinated for rabies?

Yes. Guam law requires that any animal adopted through GAIN be spayed/neutered. Guam law requires that all animals on Guam, over the age of 3 months, be vaccinated for rabies.

How do I foster?

To become a foster, you can fill out the Foster Questionnaire at the main GAIN office in Yigo, or through our foster Facebook page: GAIN Foster Network, found in the “About” section. We regularly post our fostering needs on this page and once you are in our system as a foster then you can reach out about fostering opportunities. You can also come to the shelter to look at the animals who are available to be fostered.

**Please note: GAIN does not foster out puppies or kittens unless there is a specific need (medical, etc)

How do I volunteer?

Anyone interested in volunteering can contact the shelter via phone (653-4246) or via email (info@guamanimals.org) to get direct contact information for GAIN’s volunteer coordinator.

People 14 years and older may volunteer without a parent/guardian present but must have a Volunteer Waiver form signed by his/her parent/guardian. Those 13 years and under can still volunteer but a parent/guardian must be present during the volunteer’s time at the shelter.

Anyone interested in volunteering must sign up with the volunteer coordinator. GAIN does not accept walk-in volunteers.

How do I donate? And what can I donate?

Any donations, supplies or monetary, can be dropped off at the GAIN shelter any day of the week between 9am-5pm.

GAIN accepts donations of any item located on it’s Wish List (see below). GAIN can also accept lightly used pet items (kennels, beds, food dishes, toys, brushes, litter boxes, etc). Please ensure that any pet beds are clear of hair and dander and items such as litter boxes are cleaned out. GAIN can also accept used bedding (sheets, thin blankets, towels, etc) but cannot accept large/thick blankets or comforters or bed pillows.

Are my donations to GAIN tax-deductible?

Yes! Guam Animals In Need, Inc. is proudly a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, and is a fully tax exempt charity both locally and federally. Any cash or in-kind donations are tax-deductible, and receipts will be provided upon request.